Street Division Projects
Week of August 19, 2019
New Concrete Construction
- East Lowden Street
- Closed from Overland Trail to Enterprise Blvd
Repair Potholes / Alley Maintenance
Road Repairs & Closures
City-Wide Tornado Preparedness Drill Scheduled
In observance of Texas Severe Weather Awareness Week, the City of Abilene, Taylor County, and the National Weather Service in San Angelo urge businesses, schools, families, and citizens to review their tornado preparedness plans and exercise their plan/drill on Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 10:00 A.M. If 10:00 A.M. is not a convenient time for you, pick a different time in the day/week to practice your response. Please keep in mind, you will need to simulate a 10:00 A.M. tornado warning/CodeRed® call as none will be given.
Texas Severe Weather Awareness Week is designed to bring attention to the threats posed by weather hazards in an attempt to reduce the loss of life, injury and property damage. All citizens are encouraged to have a conversation with their family or business associates about what actions they would take in the event of a tornado and practice executing those safety plans. Participation by local schools, colleges and universities, and nursing homes is particularly encouraged.
- Remember that severe weather may strike with only a few minutes of advance warning.
- Sign-up for CodeRED® Weather Warning (free telephone emergency notification from the City of Abilene) at www.abilenetx.gov or contact 2-1-1 if you need help registering.
- Have more than one way to receive warnings, such as the NOAA All-Hazards Radio, public radio and television, and CodeRED® notification.
- Use this opportunity to practice your plans & procedures in the event of a tornado, or if none are in place, start a discussion to develop them.
- Check that your All-Hazards Radio is correctly programmed to receive warnings from the National Weather Service.
For more emergency management resources, visit the City of Abilene Office of Emergency Management at www.abilenetx.gov/EOC/resources.htm.