The Streets & Road Improvements project will work on approximately 130 lane miles of roadway to rehabilitate existing travel lanes, replace and upgrade drainage facilities and curb and gutter, reconstruct intersections, create new travel lanes, reconstruct existing driveways and sidewalks where needed, and upgrading signal infrastructure with improved technology.
Year 1 Projects included Judge Ely Boulevard, West Lake Road, Antilley Road, Catclaw Drive, and the beginning of utility improvements for Ambler Avenue.
Year 2 Projects began in spring of 2017, and are the continuing of Ambler Avenue and work beginning on Hardwick Road, North Third Street, South 20th Street, Texas Avenue, the Central Business District (CBD) East HMAC, South of Downtown Abilene (SoDA) Phase 1, and various traffic signal improvements.
Year 3 Projects will begin in the spring of 2018 and include Old Anson Road, Pioneer Drive, North Willis Street, Industrial Boulevard, Central Business District (CBD) West HMAC, South of Downtown Abilene (SoDA) Phase 2.
|February 8, 2018||Bid Awarded to J.H. Strain & Sons by City Council||0%|
|February 8, 2018||Project Design Complete|
|October 2018||Project under construction via Contract Paving Co.||90%|
|April 2018||Project Design Complete|
|October 2018||Project under construction via Bontke Brothers Construction Co., Inc||60%|
|April 2018||Project Design Complete|
Part of the Central Business District (CBD) Hot Mix Project. East HMAC was completed in 2017. West HMAC will include Grape to Hickory from North 1st to North 6th.
|October 2018||All Intersections from Year 2 completed. Designs to be prepared for Year 3 intersections.|
|March 2, 2018||
Next to be completed:
|Spring 2016||A Design Contract has been awarded to Iteris, Inc. This contract is to design all of the traffic signals and controls for all of the 2015 Bond Street projects. The design team is currently working with City Staff to design traffic signal improvements.|
Forty eight intersections will receive new equipment, sixty seven new signal timing plans will be installed as well as one completely new intersection at Industrial Blvd. and Maple St.
Other improvements included in this project:
- New hardware and software to optimize traffic signal operations—this will improve travel times, reduce delay, and reduce wear and tear on vehicles. It will also decrease fuel consumptions for all road users.
- Automatic alerts sent when field equipment has issues that need to be addressed before effecting traffic flow—allowing staff to be proactive instead of reactive to field issues.
- Upgrading the 1960’s electro-mechanical equipment downtown to modern, digital equipment, as well as much needed upgrades to the other intersections.
- Vehicle detection improvements that will detect bicycles in the intersection—this will yield the ability to provide traffic data for signal adjustments as needed and allow the intersection to become more efficient by measuring vehicle demand and adjusting adaptively. It will also reduce the times when a traffic signal changes indications (colors) when nobody is there.
- Safety improvement by replacing old metal electrical pull boxes with new fiberglass ones as well as removing old power service and replacing with new weatherproof housings.
- Pedestrian head upgrade to countdown style to better communicate crossing times with cross walk users.
- Audible pedestrian systems to several intersections, which will include directions, street names, and visual and audio queues for crossing streets.
Complete List of Intersections:
Projects Currently in the Design Phase:
- Corsicana Ave. (Texas Ave. to Benbrook St.)
- S. Willis St. (S. 32nd St. to S. 14th St.)
- Vogel St. (Danville Dr. to Grape St.)
- Leggett Dr. (S. 7th St. to S. 1st St.)
- N. 1st St. (RR tracks west of Wall St. to Pioneer Dr.)
- N. 6th St/Legget Dr. (N. 1st St. to Grape St.)
- Hartford St. (Veterans Blvd. to Clack St.)
- T&P Ln. (E.S. 11st St. to Sandy St.)
- CBD Hot Mix (Multi-Year Project)
- CBD Concrete (Multi-Year Project)
- 2015 Bond Traffic Signal Project (Multi-Year Project)
- SODA HMAC (Multi-Year Project)
- North Willis St.
- Old Anson Rd.
- Pioneer Drive
- Ambler Ave. (Danville to Treadaway)
- Texas Ave. (Dub Wright to Hwy 277 S.)
- CBD East Repairs
- South 20th St. (Sayles Blvd. to Treadaway Blvd.)
- North 3rd (Willis St. to Hickory St.)
- Hardwick Rd. (Beltway S. to Antilley Rd.)
- Antilley Rd. (Buffalo Gap Rd. to Director's Parkway)
- Judge Ely (E Hwy 80 to E N 16th)
- West Lake Rd. (Ambler Ave. to Anson Ave.)
- Catclaw (Rebecca Ln. to Curry Ln.)