Safe Handling of Complete Meals to Go
In today’s busy world, many convenience foods; including complete meals to go are popular. Most are consumed immediately, although there are times when ready prepared foods are purchased in advance to be eaten at a later time.
Perishable foods can cause illness when mishandled and improperly stored. Proper handling is essential to ensure the food is safe.
- Eating Within 2 Hours? Pick up food HOT and keep it HOT. Eat and enjoy your food within 2 hours to prevent harmful bacteria from multiplying.
- Not Eating Within 2 Hours? Keeping foods warm is not enough. Harmful bacteria grow rapidly between 40 and 140 degrees F.
- Keep COLD Food COLD---Refrigerate or freeze immediately. Cold food should be held at 41 degrees or colder.
- You may wish to reheat your meal, whether it was purchased hot and then refrigerated or purchased cold initially.
- Heat thoroughly to 165 degrees!
- If heating in the microwave oven, cover food and rotate dish so it heats evenly.
- Inadequate heating in the microwave can contribute to illnesses.
Keep HOT foods HOT & COLD foods COLD!