Prepare for crisis situations before they occur. Your family should have an emergency supply kit on hand, with supplies kept in water resistant, easy-to-lift containers that can be moved rapidly if necessary. This suggested supply kit is appropriate for severe weather events as well as other emergencies.
The kit should include:
- First-aid kit
- Cash (power outages mean banks and ATMs may be unavailable)
- Road maps
- Battery-operated radio and flashlight with extra batteries
- Important documents and records, photo IDs, proof of residence
- Three-day supply of non-perishable food, one gallon of bottled water** per person per day, coolers for food and ice storage
- Fire extinguisher
- Blankets, sleeping bags and extra clothing
- Extra medications and prescriptions, hearing aids and special medical items
- Eyeglasses and sunglasses
- Toilet paper, clean-up supplies, duct tape, tarp, rope
- Manual can opener, knife, tools, booster cables
- Special supplies needed for babies, older adults or pets
**Remember to change perishable supplies and water every six months.