- Summer Reading Clubs
- About Brian Lies
Brian Lies, Mini-Biography
Brian Lies (pronounced Lees) is an American author/illustrator of a number of award-winning children's books. Born in Princeton, New Jersey, Lies was interested in art since childhood and would later attend the Boston Museum School. He started a career as an editorial and political illustrator before illustrating his first book in 1989 titled "Flatfoot Fox and the Case of the Missing Eye."
He has written and/or illustrated more than 30 books including the 2019 Caldecott Honor-winning book "The Rough Patch," which also won a Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators Crystal Kite Award. He has written and illustrated two best-selling bat book series, of which is the primary focus of the books we'll be celebrating at the library this summer. Titles within that series include "Bats at the Library," "Bats at the Ballgame," and "Little Bat at Night School."
Lies state he tries to keep the design of his animal characters as naturalistic as possible and does so through the use of acrylic paintings that use a lot of blues and browns that are often bathed in moonlight. "Bats at the Library" made it onto Time.com's "Top 10 Children's Books of 2008" list, and the American Booksellers Association announced the book had been named Best New Picture Book in the 2009 Indies Choice Book Awards.
His work will also be exhibited at the National Center for Children's illustrated Literature on June 8, 2023.
Visit his website online for more information.
Written & Illustrated by Brian Lies
- The Rough Patch (2019 Caldecott Honor Book)
- Got to Get to Bear's!
- Gator Dad
- Hamlet and the Enormous Chinese Dragon Kite
- Hamlet and the Magnificent Sandcastle
- Bats in the Band
- Bats at the Ballgame
- Bats at the Library
- Bats at the Beach
Illustrated by Brian Lies
- Malcolm at Midnight by W.H. Beck
- MORE by I.C. Springman
- Deep in the Swamp by Donna M. Bateman
- Finklehopper Frog Cheers by Irene Livingston
- Lucky Duck by Ellen Weiss
- Zoo Train by Lissa Rovetch
- Spy Hops and Belly Flops by Lynda Graham-Barber
- Finklehopper Frog by Irene Livingston
- Dinosaur Footprints
- Dinosaurs by Adam Karlson
- Popcorn! by Elaine Landau
- See the Yak Yak by Charles Ghigna
- The Midnight Fridge by Bruce Glassman
- Where Are the Bears by Kay Winter
- George and the Dragon Word by Dianne Snyder
Flatfoot Fox Series
- Flatfoot Fox and the Case of the Missing Schoolhouse by Eth Clifford
- Flatfoot Fox and the Case of the Bashful Beaver by Eth Clifford
- Flatfoot Fox and the Case of the Missing Whooo by Eth Clifford
- Flatfoot Fox and the Case of the Nosy Otter by Eth Clifford
- Flatfoot Fox and the Case of the Missing Eye by Eth Clifford