Are You Called to Serve?
Applications to become an entry-level firefighter are currently closed
CERTIFIED & NON-CERTIFIED
The Abilene Fire Department is committed to providing the highest level of public safety services to our community. We protect lives and property through fire suppression, emergency medical services, hazardous material mitigation, fire prevention and public education. The Abilene Fire Department operates from 8 fire stations.
Hiring Process Timeline
|Monday, October 30 through Friday, November 9||Oral Interview Board|
|Monday, December 4 through Friday, December 8||Psychological Evaluations|
|Tuesday, January 2, 2024 through Friday, January 5, 2024||Medical/Physical/Drug Screening|
|Friday, January 19, 2024||Final Job Offer sent to Candidates|
|Monday, February 5, 2024||Academy Start Date|
- Successful candidates will be required to attend and graduate a state approved fire training academy conducted by the Abilene Fire Department and complete the Emergency Medical Technician basic course within the first 6 months of employment.
- Must be at least 18 years of age by the start date
- Must have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Good moral character
- Good driving record
- Pass drug test, medical, & psychological exams
- $53,567 - $56,591
- No Experience Required
- 48/96 Full Time Shift Work Schedule
- 12 Paid Holidays, 15 Paid Vacation Days & 15 Paid Sick Days Per Year
- Health, Dental, Vision, & Life Insurance Plans
- Certification Pay
- Education Pay
- Longevity Pay
The written examination will be held at the Abilene Convention Center. Doors will open at 7:30 a.m., and all applicants must be in the building by 8:00 a.m. Doors will close at 8:00 a.m. and the test will begin at 8:30 a.m.
Physical Ability Test
The Abilene Fire Department will be providing practice days for the Physical Ability Test (PAT). Applicants can attend any of these dates and times listed below to practice any and all aspects of the PAT.
- July 14th - 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- July 15th - 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- August 5th - 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- August 11th - 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m
Address: 4242 E Lake Rd, Abilene, TX 79601