Get an Abilene Public Library Card
Library cards are free for City of Abilene residents, Active Duty Military, Military Retirees and Military Dependents with a valid and current Department of Defense ID Card; $10.00 for all other Texas residents.
University Student IDs
If you're currently a student or faculty at Abilene Christian, Hardin-Simmons, or McMurry Universities, your school ID cards serve as library cards with all Abilene Public Library locations.
Abilene ISD Student IDs
If you're currently enrolled in an AISD school, and your parent has opted you in for receiving public library privileges, your student ID will serve as library cards with all Abilene Public Library locations.
Apply in Person
Simply fill out an application form at the circulation desk at any branch library, present a Photo ID and verification of your address, and staff can create your account in less than 5-minutes. Minors will need a parent/legal guardian to acquire a card, but the minor/s do not need to be present.
Complete an Online Library Card Registration and your account will be created within 1 to 2 business days. When you visit to pickup your card, present staff with a Photo ID and verification of your address. Additionally, if registering as a non-resident, you must visit us to pick up your library card. We will not mail out a library card or process the application if the potential cardholder will not be visiting one of our three branch locations to pick up their Abilene Public Library card.
Acceptable Forms of Verification of Address
- Driver's License
- Insurance (Car, Renter's, Home, etc.)
- Lease Agreement
- Official Mail
- Utility Bill
Supplemental Library Card Information
- WHAT TYPES OF LIBRARY CARDS DO YOU OFFER?
- General Library Card: Each card affords you with 3-sessions on library computers each day and access to our E-Resources and Digital Services. You may checkout up to 10 DVDs, 10 audiobooks, and 10 music CDs, or a total of 50 items total, from the public libraries. Library cards are valid for 1-year. Your public library cards also grant you with borrowing privileges from the three private university libraries in Abilene, as well as the library on Dyess Air Force Base.
- Non-Resident Library Card: Valid for 1-year at an annual fee of $10.00, patrons are granted access to all the same services provided under the General Library Card. These cards are for potential patrons who reside outside of the city limits, and whom are not current faculty or staff with the three private universities, or affiliated with the military.
- Internet-Only Card: Grants users with access to library computers only.
- WHAT ARE THE LATE FEES FOR LIBRARY MATERIALS?
- As of October 1, 2018, we do not charge late fees for overdue materials. If you have items on your account that are overdue, you will not be able to checkout new materials until the overdue items are returned. Overdue materials may also affect your ability to use our Libby & Hoopla services.
- HOW MUCH IS A REPLACEMENT LIBRARY CARD?
- $1.00; Library staff will ask to view your Photo ID to access your account.
- CAN MY FAMILY SHARE MY LIBRARY CARD?
- Yes; however the library card must be presented to library staff if the primary cardholder is not present. All family members are able to acquire their own library card if desired.
- CAN I CHECKOUT WITHOUT MY LIBRARY CARD?
- Yes; you will need to present a Photo ID for library staff to access your account. If using the self-checkout machines, you will need to know your 13-digit library card number and your PIN.
- WHAT'S A PIN?
- This is used to access your account online and/or use the self-checkout stations. If you do not register for a PIN, contact library staff. PIN's can be a combination of letters and numbers (not case-sensitive) and must be at least 4-characters long.
- CAN I RENEW MATERIALS OVER THE PHONE?
- Yes; contact staff and we'll ask for your 13-digit library card number to renew physical items. Materials may not be renewed if there is an outstanding hold on the item(s) or you've reached your renewal limit.
- CAN I USE MY SCHOOL ID TO CHECKOUT?
- Yes; students attending Abilene Christian, Hardin-Simmons, or McMurry universities may use your student/faculty/staff ID as your public library card. If you are a student enrolled in Abilene ISD, and your parent/legal guardian registered you for public library access at the beginning of the school year, your ID number serves as your library card.
- Likewise, public library cardholders have borrowing privileges at the three university libraries; however, you will be limited to five (5) items at a time.
- WHAT IF I LOSE MY LIBRARY CARD?
- Contact library staff to report it. We may then update your account to require a Photo ID for checkout until we may issue you a new library card for $1.00. If you do not report your card lost/stolen, you will be held responsible for items checked out that are not returned.
- WHY DO YOU NEED MY EMAIL ADDRESS?
- It's used to send notifications of available holds, late items, etc., which are automatically generated by our system. You will also receive a courtesy email to alert you of library materials needing to be returned 48 hours before they are do, as well as reminders to renew your library card when its time.