Cosplay Contest Information
Show off your costuming skills while posing in character, or performing in a group skit. All ages may participate with prizes being awarded in the primary divisions. Everyone one else is invited to come watch the show and support our contestants! Call 325-677-2474 if you have any questions.
Saturday, October 9 at 3:00PM
Mall of Abilene, Large Mall Courtyard
4310 Buffalo Gap Rd, Abilene, TX 79606
Onsite Registration from 1:00PM to 2:00PM
Lib-Con is a family friendly event. All costumes must be suitable for public display. Costumes must cover at least as much as a modest bathing suit. The Abilene Public Library Staff reserves the right to insist on costume modifications. Shoes must be worn at all times.
Misuse of a prop or engaging in any type of inappropriate behavior (fighting, sparring, horseplay) will result in the immediate removal of the prop. All props are subject to review by library staff.
- "NERF," air soft, paintball and water guns with the firing mechanism disabled will be allowed. No ’puffs of air" or other discharge should be detected upon testing.
- Bows must not be fully strung and demonstrate to be able to fire projectiles.
- No real firearms (replica, antique or otherwise) will be allowed.
- Bladed Weapons
- All bladed weapons must be dull to the touch regardless of the material they are made of.
- Weapons with a metal blade (sharpened or not) will not be allowed.
- Blunt Force Weapons
- Real blunt force weapons including, but not limited to, blackjacks, nightsticks, maces, tomahawks will not be allowed.
- All general cosplay rules apply.
- To be eligible for prizes you must:
- Be 7 years of age or older.
- Have made or altered 50% of your cosplay. (For example, painting shoes and/or adding pieces to them is altering them.
- Costumes and props must be able to traverse stairs
- Everything you bring on stage must leave with you. No glitter, water, flower petals, etc
- No jumping or acrobatics onstage
- No special effects (i.e. pyrotechnics, electronic flashes)
- No throwing items off the stage
- Stage combat must be half speed or slower
Skit Specific Guidelines
- Skits must be "Family Friendly."
- No more than 6 people per skit.
- Skits can be no longer than 3-minutes, but may be shorter if you wish.
- Setup of stage for skit may take longer than 1 minute. This included props, backgrounds, sound equipment, etc.
- Microphones are not guaranteed; be prepared to talk loud enough to be heard if you do not pre-record your audio.
- Abilene Public Library will not provide a way to play audio (i.e. music) for any particular skit.
- 2 chairs are available for use if needed.
- You are expected to provide a description of your script. Description must be approved by Lib-Con staff.
- Children under age 7 may participate, but must have an adult onstage at all times.
There will be four age divisions including:
- Triforce Tots (Ages 0 to 6 with Guardian)
- Child Division (Ages 7 to 12)
- Teen Division (Ages 13 to 17)
- Adult Division (Ages 18 and Up)
Registration information will be provided once the committee has confirmed program details.
What You'll Do on Stage
We will bring everyone in your age division on stage and line you up. When you're called by the presenter, you'll step to the front of the stage to pose for the judges for at least 30-seconds. We will let you know when your time is up and then you can return to your position with the other contestants until everyone has been called. Once completed, we will direct you off stage and back to your seats.
Music will be provided by library staff. You will not be asked to perform as your character, just to show off your costume to the judges and audience. However, if you'd like to do different poses, or get into character, you're more than welcome.
Rating System for Scoring Contestants
Contestants in each division will be judged on a 5-point numerical score (5 being the highest) based on accuracy and craftsmanship when it comes to your costume. A cumulative score will be tallied and the contestants with the highest scores will determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place standings in each division. In the case of a tie, they will be determined by the panel of judges at their discretion. Prizes will be awarded to the top three contestants in each division.