Cosplay Contest Information
Lib-Con is a family friendly event. All costumes must be suitable for public display. Costumes must cover at least as much as a modest bathing suit. The Abilene Public Library Staff reserves the right to insist on costume modifications. Shoes must be worn at all times.
Misuse of a prop or engaging in any type of inappropriate behavior (fighting, sparring, horseplay) will result in the immediate removal of the prop. All props are subject to review by library staff.
- "NERF," air soft, paintball and water guns with the firing mechanism disabled will be allowed. No ’puffs of air" or other discharge should be detected upon testing.
- Bows must not be fully strung and demonstrate to be able to fire projectiles.
- No real firearms (replica, antique or otherwise) will be allowed.
- Bladed Weapons
- All bladed weapons must be dull to the touch regardless of the material they are made of.
- Weapons with a metal blade (sharpened or not) will not be allowed.
- Blunt Force Weapons
- Real blunt force weapons including, but not limited to, blackjacks, nightsticks, maces, tomahawks will not be allowed.
There will be three age divisions including:
- Cosplay Parade (Up to Age 9)
- Youth Division (Ages 10-15)
- Adult Division (Ages 16+)
Registration will be held the day of the contest. We will not accept late entries. Please come ready to answer the following questions:
- What name do you want to be called on stage?
- What character are you cosplaying?
- What is the origin of your character?
- What is your age?
- What parts of your costume did you make or alter? (Remember, at least 50% of your costume needs to have been altered to be considered for prizes).
All registered cosplayers may leave after registering; however, you must return by 2:30PM for placement prior to the event beginning at 3:00PM.
What You'll Do on Stage
We will bring everyone in your age division on stage and line you up. When you're called by the presenter, you'll step to the front of the stage to pose for the judges for at least 30-seconds. We will let you know when your time is up and then you can return to your position with the other contestants until everyone has been called. Once completed, we will direct you off stage and back to your seats.
Music will be provided by library staff. You will not be asked to perform as your character, just to show off your costume to the judges and audience. However, if you'd like to do different poses, or get into character, you're more than welcome.
Rating System for Scoring Contestants
Contestants participating in the Cosplay Parade will each receive a small prize for participating, but will not qualify for ranked placement by our judges. Youth and Adult divisions will be judged on a 5-point numerical score (5 being the highest) based on accuracy and craftsmanship when it comes to your costume. A cumulative score will be tallied and the contestants with the highest scores will determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place standings in each division. In the case of a tie, they will be determined by the panel of judges at their discretion. Prizes will be awarded to the top three contestants in each division.