Social Media Policy
The City of Abilene believes citizen engagement and feedback plays an important role in our community. Abilene's digital media and social networking sites are open to comments. Abilene's digital media and social networking sites are some of the many tools that the City utilizes for information distribution and citizen engagement and feedback. Not every issue facing the City will necessarily be addressed on the digital media and social networking sites. This policy provides guidance for citizen engagement on the City of Abilene social media sites.
The City's goals for these communication tools are to:
- Continue our commitment to transparency from City administration
- Educate and inform the community by meeting the citizens where they are
- Facilitate the sense of availability, accessibility, and accountability
- Provide additional avenues for citizen engagement and feedback
Comment Postings Regulations
The City intends to promote effective communication and maintain a respectful dialogue. In that spirit, the rules for posting external comments on any official City of Abilene digital media or social networking site will maintain a productive and open forum for community discussion and citizen engagement. Our moderators use these rules to ensure that posted comments are constructive and suitable for all readers while respecting a range of opinions and points of view. Moderation will take place during the City's normal business hours. Posted comments must comply with the following regulations:
- Comments and posts must be civil and may not contain slanderous, libelous, malicious, offensive, threatening, profane, or insulting language.
- References to the personality of individuals, personal attacks or insulting language are not permitted.
- Advertising or promotional announcements are not permitted.
- Comments on City posts must be within the scope of the topic under discussion.
- Comments and posts cannot include personally identifiable information, such as an address, phone number, social security number or other sensitive information.
- Comments and posts cannot represent a person other than the one posting the comment.
- Comments and posts containing links to other websites or pages must be relevant to the topic.
- Comments in support of, or in opposition to, any political campaigns or ballot measures shall not be allowed.
- Political messages are not permitted.
- Participants are responsible for what they post.
- Comments must not breach any law, confidentiality, or copyright.
- The City of Abilene's digital media and social networking sites are not a forum to submit public information requests.
- Comments by external parties on the City of Abilene's digital media and social networking sites are not official public testimony concerning any project or program. An opinion expressed on the City of Abilene's digital media and social networking site is posted for discussion only and is not a substitute for a formal statement in a public hearing process.
- A comment posted by a member of the public on any City of Abilene digital media and social networking site is the opinion of the commentator or poster only, and publication of a comment does not imply endorsement of, or agreement by, the City of Abilene, nor do such comments necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of the City of Abilene.
- Nothing on any digital media or social networking site constitutes a binding representation, agreement or an endorsement on the part of the City of Abilene. The City of Abilene will delete any comment that violates this agreement. Users will be blocked and/or reported to the corresponding digital media or social networking operator.
- In addition to this agreement, users who also violate the Terms and Conditions will be reported to the corresponding digital media or social networking operator and blocked from the City of Abilene's digital media and social networking sites regulated by the City of Abilene.
Official City of Abilene Social Media Sites
Any site not included in this list is not an official City of Abilene social media site.