- Parks & Recreation
- Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I make donations to the Parks and Recreation Division?
You can make donations through joining Parks Bucks by adding $1 to your water bill.
- What forms of payment are accepted?
The following forms of payment are accepted:
- Credit Cards:
- American Express
- How do I register online for Parks & Recreation classes, events, leagues or programs?
Registrations can be done from any device at the My Parks and Recreation website. or use the MyAbi app on your mobile device.
- When do I register my child for summer camp or after school program?
Registration for summer camp begins in March. Registration for the After School program begins in July.
- Where can I get information about sports leagues?
The City of Abilene offers both adult and youth sports. Additional league resources can be found at:
- Abilene Hockey Association
- Abilene Rugby Club
- Abilene Youth Sports Authority
- First Baptist Church
- Pioneer Drive Baptist Church
- West Texas Youth Football League
- What is the Parks and Recreation refund policy for registration?
Any Activity/Event cancellations must be made 14 days prior to the event/activity start date. Any Camp cancellations must be made within the first 2 days of the camp start date. There will be a $5 charge for cancellations.
- Are scholarships available?
The City of Abilene does offer scholarships for Winter Break Camp, Spring Break Camp, and Summer Camp. Availability is limited. Determinations on awarding assistance will be based on annual household income. The City of Abilene has the final discretion on any and all scholarship approvals.
- Do you have locations for birthday parties?
Yes, we offer two Activity Buildings, four Recreation Centers, the Aquatic Center (Adventure Cove) and Festival Gardens, which is 100% outdoors.
- How do I rent one of your facilities?
Reservations for our facilities are done in person at the Parks & Recreation office, located at:
633 Walnut Street
Abilene, TX 79601
You can also reserve a spot online at the Parks and Recreation website.
Reservation cutoff is on Wednesdays at noon.
- How do I reserve a pavilion?
You can locate a pavilion at the Parks and Recreation website.
- Are bounce houses allowed in your facilities?
Yes with a valid bounce house permit from the Parks and Recreation office. No water or splash inflatables are allowed.
- What is the Parks and Recreation refund policy for facility rentals?
A 7 day notice is required in order to cancel or transfer a reservation. There will be a $5 charge for cancelling or transferring a reservation.
- What are the park hours?
Park hours are 5:30 am to midnight.
- Do you have a parks map with their amenities?
View a list of parks in the Facilities module.
- Which areas of the park allow for alcohol?
The City of Abilene prohibits the possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages inside any buildings, facilities, and parks (Section22-2) Violations could result in fines, penalties, and/or arrests. Use of alcoholic beverages at Festival Gardens is allowed under certain provisions. Call 325-676-6217 or email the Parks and Recreation Department for more information.
- Am I allowed to park on the grass at the park?
Parking on the grass at any of the parks is prohibited (Section 22-13).
- Is smoking allowed in the parks?
The City of Abilene buildings, facilities and parks are “Smoke Free” areas (Ordinance 41-2014). Violations could result in fines, penalties and/or arrests.
- Am I allowed to bring my own barbecue into the park?
Yes. Please be courteous of other park patrons, remember to be safe when conditions are windy, and dispose of coals properly after they have cooled. No grills within 100 feet of splash pads, playgrounds or other public activity areas. Trailer mounted grills must be parked in a marked parking space in the parking lot. No vehicles anywhere other than improved roads or parking lots.
- Can I have an open fire in the parks?
Per Section 22-8, no person shall build any fire in any park area except in a proper container, which container shall be so constructed that it will not damage any park property, including grass, or will not be apt to cause the spread of fire.
- Where can I fly my drones or other electronic flying devices?
Per section 22-7, no person shall operate, manipulate, fly or cause to be operated, manipulated or flown any model airplane with a motor driven propeller in the public parks of the city, except in areas designated for such activity by the Director of Parks & Recreation. Contact the Abilene RC Society for information about requirements for flying at Seabee Park which is Abilene Parks only designated area for such activity.
- Is a fishing permit required if I want to fish in the park?
Yes, all waters within our park boundaries are considered public waters and fishing is allowed. There are restrictions in some areas to allow for boat traffic and other activities for safety reasons. Any person actively trying to capture fish must have a valid fishing license issued from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. State fishing guidelines must also be adhered to when fish are taken from public waters. Please see Texas Parks and Wildlife for more information.
- What are the walking distances of the park trails?
Walking Distances are as follows:
- Abilene State Park (Eagle Trail) - 0.25 Miles
- Arthur Sears Park - 0.72 Miles
- Oscar Rose Park - 0.47 Miles
- Grover Nelson Park - 1.61 Miles
- Abilene State Park (Elm Creek Trail) - 1 Mile
- Redbud Park - 1.51 Miles
- Does the City have any camping facilities?
City-owned Seabee Park and Johnson Park at Lake Fort Phantom Hill provide for a primitive camping environment. Maximum time allowed for primitive camping is 48 hours.
The Abilene State Park is located in nearby Tuscola. For reservation information, contact State Parks, or call the local number at 325-572-3204.
- What are the rules regarding dogs in the parks?
The City ordinance requires dogs be on a leash or at heel, walking by your side and under voice command. You should also bring pet litter bags to remove pet waste.
- Where can my sports team practice?
Many City parks have practice backstops. While they aren't reserved, particular leagues have historically used the sites. Check with your league for direction. Many of the school sites also have backstops. The game fields are under contract with the sports leagues. Check with the school administration for more information.
Advance reservations are considered on a first come, first served basis for up to one year advance. Reservations are subject to any price increase approved by the City Council. The person renting the City facility must be 21 or older. For more information, please call 325-676-6217.
To request the use of a park facility ballfield, see our Facility Rental and Use page.
- What are the rules at the dog park Camp Barkeley?
These are the dog park guidelines:
1. The dog park is open dawn to dusk.
2. Dogs must be licensed and have current rabies vaccinations on their tags or the owner must have a current rabies vaccination certificate in their possession while using the park.
3. Dogs belonging to City of Abilene residents must display city license tags.
4. Dogs must remain on leash while entering and exiting the park gates. Both the small dog and large dog areas are double gated and the exterior gate must be closed before opening the interior gate. Dogs should be unleashed while they are between the inner and outer gates before they are allowed to enter the park.
5. Owners must remain inside the enclosures at all times while their dog is in the park.
6. Any dog exhibiting aggressive behavior must be removed immediately.
7. Owners are responsible for damage or injury inflected by their dogs.
8. Owners must have a visible leash with them at all times.
9. Owners are responsible for removal and proper disposal of feces of their pets."
10. All children must be under strict supervision and children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
11. There is a limit of two dogs per person per visit.
12. Puppies under 4 months are not allowed.
13. Dogs in heat are not allowed.
14. The small dog area is for dogs less than (30) pounds only.
15. Food is not allowed in the park area. Dog treats are not allowed in the park area.
16. Spiked collars are not allowed in the park.
- How do I find the Senior Services' menu, events and calendars?
To discover information regarding Senior Services Division, please visit the Seniors page.
- I'm a senior and would like to volunteer for community service. Who do I call?
To volunteer at Rose Park Senior Activity Center, please call 325-734-5300.
For all other volunteer opportunities, please call the Retired Senior Volunteer Program at 325-793-3520 or visit the West Texas Rehabilitation Center website.
- Is transportation available to and from the Senior centers?
The City of Abilene no longer offers transportation. However, the City of Abilene Senior Services encourages seniors who are in need of transportation services to contact City Link. Their number is 325-676-6287, and select option 2 for ADA Van Service.
- What are the Tennis Center's hours of operation?
The Tennis Centers hours are as follows:
- Monday through Thursday from 9 am to 9 pm
- Friday from 9 am to 6 pm
- Saturday from 9 am to 7 pm
- Sunday from 1 to 7 pm
- Does the Tennis Center give private lessons?
Yes. The rate per hour varies. To reserve lesson times please call 325-676-6292.
- Are there age restrictions on tennis lessons?
At the Rose Park Tennis Center, we teach players from 4 years old to adult, at all levels of play from beginner to advanced. Contact Rose Park at 325-676-6292 or visit the Facility Rentals page for further details.
- How do I find out about burial plots at the cemetery?
Please call 325-676-6094 for more information about available plots.
- How can I find the location of a grave?
View an online map of the City Cemetery.
For specific information on block numbers, contact the Cemetery Office at 325-676-6094 or come by our office at:
633 Walnut Street
Abilene, TX 79601
- How can I find out if someone is buried at the Cemetery?
To locate a gravesite at the City Cemetery, visit Find a Grave and follow the on screen prompts. You may also contact us at 325-676-6094 for help with locating a grave.
- Where is the cemetery located?
The City Cemetery is located at:
1133 Cottonwood Street
Abilene, TX 79601
The Cemetery office is located at:
633 Walnut Street
Abilene, TX 79601
- What are the fees for burial plots?
The fees for burial plots are as follows:
- $300 for Cremains
- $300 for Infant plots
- $500 for a Pre-Owned space for 2nd right-of-internment
- $750 for Adult plots
- $1,200 for a New Space with two rights-of-internment
- Can I purchase a pre-need space?
Yes. You may purchase spaces for future use, but grave opening and closing may be paid only at the time of need. Please call 325-676-6094 to set up an appointment to view available pre-need spaces.
- Am I allowed to place a grave marker on a grave?
Yes, although there are restrictions on the size of the marker. For more information, contact us at 325-676-6094 or come by our office from 8 am until 5 pm, Monday through Friday, except for on City holidays. The office is located at:
633 Walnut Street
Abilene, TX 79601
There is a permit fee that must be paid prior to the placing of any markers. For fee information, visit the Fee Schedule page.
- Can I place decorations on or put a fence or curb around a grave?
Vases, wreaths, flowers or ornaments must be placed on the grave marker or in a piece of pipe in the ground in line with the row of grave markers. We reserve the right to remove any decorations that may become unsightly or interfere with the maintenance of the cemetery.
Fence or Curb
No construction is permitted on cemetery lots, including such items as:
- Enclosures of Vegetation
- Wood or Brick Coverings
These items interfere with mowing and other Cemetery operations. For further information, contact us at 325-676-6094.
- Can I plant a tree at the Cemetery?
Yes, the following are approved for planting:
- Live Oak
- Chinese Pistache
- Texas Ash
- Texas Red Oak
- Lacey Oak
- Bois d'Arc Fruitless
- Eve's Necklac
- Crape Myrtle Tree
- Upright Juniper
- Rose Bushes
- Arizona Cypress Tree
Please contact the Cemetery Office at 325-676-6094 to arrange for help with placement, prior to planting.
- What are visiting hours at the cemetery?
Visiting hours are from sunrise to sunset, seven days a week.