The City of Abilene is self-insured and offers a variety of competitive benefits packages and salaries for regular full-time employees.
Stability & Special Pay
Non-civil service employees who have completed 5 years of continuous employment are awarded stability pay. Civil service employees receive special pay for longevity, certification, and education
In the following equation x is used to show multiplication:
Annual Salary x Years of Service x .005 = Stability Pay (Maximum $2,880 for 2022)
Police, Fire, and Non-Civil Service salary schedules are posted on the City of Abilene Intranet for employees to view.
The following are the 12 paid holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Day
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day and following Friday
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
- 120 Hours Per Year (15 Days Per Year)
- 120 Hours Per Year (15 Days Per Year)
- Provided during time lost due to personal illness or injury to the employee or employee’s dependent
- Sick Day Reward Pay
- Employees who use 3 or less sick days during the calendar year are awarded an extra day off with pay. Employees must be employed for the entire calendar year to earn this bonus day.
- 3 Days
- To arrange or attend the funeral of an immediate family member
- When called for jury duty or as a witness, employees receive their regular salary while serving.
- 15 Days
- To attend a regular training activity
- Dental Insurance - Full-time employees and their dependents provided by BlueCross BlueShield Dental. Cost is deducted from wages twice a month.
- Health Insurance - Full-time employees and their dependents. The City is self-insured through BlueCross BlueShield, and Cost is deducted from wages twice a month.
- Vision Insurance - Full-time employees and their dependents provided by Community Eye Care - CEC. Cost is deducted from wages twice a month.
Section 125 Flexible Benefits
Under the flexible spending plan, your health, dental and vision insurance premiums may be pre-taxed. This is administered through PayFlex and is available to all full-time and part-time employees. Money may also be set aside, pre-taxed, to cover medical expenses not covered by the health plan or for childcare expenses. This is available to full-time and part-time employees.
- $50,000 Group Basic Term Life and AD&D - Provided at no cost for all full-time employees on the City's health insurance plan through Standard.
- Group Voluntary Term Life and AD&D - Provided through Standard. Available for all Full-Time Employees, Spouse, & Children.
- Life, Accident, and Critical Illness - Provided though Standard. Available for all Full-Time Employees, Spouse, & Children.
- STD & LTD - Provided through Standard. Available for all Full-Time Employees.
Alliance Work Partners provides all full-time, part-time, and temporary employees and their immediate family members up to 5 counseling sessions per year to help resolve problems such as:
- Alcohol/Drug Abuse
- Emotional/Mental Problems
- Financial Difficulties
- Grief and Loss
- Marital/Family Problems
- Work-Related Difficulties
Sessions are provided at no cost to the employee.
The City of Abilene provides a free online financial wellness program called SmartDollar. Learn how to pay off debt faster, save money for emergencies, and prepare for retirement.
Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS)
Retirement contributions are deducted from paychecks each pay period at a fixed rate of 7% gross pay. This applies to all employees (except firemen). Read more in the TMRS Benefits Guide (PDF) and the TMRS Facts sheet (PDF).
Firemen's Relief & Retirement Fund
Available to all Firemen, fund contributions are a percentage of the fireman's gross pay. The amount is agreed upon by the Firefighter's Pension Board and the City Councilmen).
Pre-taxed and post tax deduction plans are available through Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Section 457 Deferred Compensation Plan with Nationwide Solutions