What is ADA Paratransit Van Service?
If you have a disability which prevents you from being able to use the regular fixed route bus some or all the time, you may be eligible for CityLink’s ADA Paratransit Van Service.
The ADA paratransit service is for persons whose physical or mental disability prevents them from accessing the fixed-route bus service. Determination of eligibility includes evaluation of the individual's functional ability to access a fixed-route system. Eligibility guidelines are found in CFR 49 Section 37.
Hours of Operation
Service is provided from 6:15 am until 5:45 pm, Monday through Saturday.
- No Holiday or Sunday service is provided.
Service Areas & Fares
There are 2 types of fares for CityLink's ADA Paratransit Van Service: ADA Service Area and the Extended Service Area.
Trips are to be paid when boarding the van. Fares are paid with exact change, an ADA daytime ticket, or a personal check. We accept payment for one-way trips only. No round-trip payments will be accepted.
Trips within 3/4 of a mile on either side of a fixed route are within the ADA Service Area.
- $2.00 for a one-way trip
- $20 for a 10-ticket ride book
Trips beyond the ADA Service Area, but still within Abilene city limits, are considered the Extended Service Area.
- $3.00 for a one-way trip
- $60 for a 20-ticket ride book
Using ADA Paratransit Van Service
To be certified for CityLink ADA Paratransit Van Service, you must submit an application.
Please fill out our online form to apply for Paratransit service. Once complete, please have a medical professional (doctor, nurse, licensed therapist, social worker, or O&M specialist) fill out the questionnaire concerning the applicant to verify their eligibility and need to use this service.
- Application for Paratransit Service - Client Application
- Application for Paratransit Service - Medical Professional Questionnaire
Register in Person
- Visit CityLink offices between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m.:
1189 S 2nd Street
Abilene, TX 79602
Register by Phone
- Call (325) 676-6287, Option 2 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Print and fill out the application and drop it off at CityLink's dispatch window in our customer waiting area.
Advanced booking is required! Trips are scheduled as shared rides and are subject to availability.
When scheduling a trip, please have the following information ready:
- Date of Trip(s)
- Origination (Pick Up) address
- Destination (Drop Off) address
- Drop off time at your destination
- Pick up time for your return trip
- Whether you will have a PCA or guest(s)
- Special accommodation information for ADA rider
The scheduler will provide an approximate pick-up time. Please be aware that the vehicle may arrive at the pick-up location up to 15 minutes prior to or 15 minutes after the scheduled pick-up time. Drivers will only wait for a 5 minute period of time before departing. Failure to meet the van will result in a No Show.
- Schedule your trip at least 3 days in advance using our Ecolane Web Portal
Schedule by Phone
- Call (325) 676-6287, Option 2 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Outside office hours, please leave a voicemail with your reservation details.
- Schedule your trip at least 24 hours in advance when calling by phone.
If you become aware that you will not be able to take a scheduled trip, call CityLink at (325) 676-6287 Option 2 as soon as possible to cancel your trip request to avoid a no-show charge. No cancellations will be accepted by email.
Cancellations must be made at least 1 hour before scheduled pick up time.
A no-show occurs when a rider fails to appear to board the vehicle for a scheduled trip. This presumes the vehicle arrives at the scheduled pickup location within the pickup window and the driver waits at least 5 minutes.
A late cancellation is defined as either:
- A cancellation made at the door
- A cancellation made less than 1 hour before the scheduled pickup time
- Refusal to board a vehicle that has arrived within the pickup window
No Show Due to Operator Error or Circumstances beyond a Rider's Control
CityLink does not count any missed trips due to our error, such as:
- Drivers arriving and departing before the pickup window begins
- Drivers arriving late (after the end of the pickup window)
- Drivers arriving within the pickup window, but departing without waiting the required 5 minutes
- Pickups scheduled at a location other than that which is requested by rider
- Trips placed on the schedule in error
CityLink does not count situations beyond a rider's control that prevent the rider from notifying us that the trip cannot be taken, such as:
- An appointment that runs unexpectedly late without sufficient notice
- Family Emergency
- Medical Emergency
- Sudden illness or change in condition
Riders should contact the CityLink ADA Paratransit operations center as soon as possible for no-shows or late cancellations due to circumstances beyond their control.
Policy for Handling Subsequent Trips Following No Shows
When a rider is a no-show for one trip, all subsequent trips on that day remain on the schedule unless the rider specifically cancels the trips. To avoid multiple no-shows on the same day, riders are strongly encouraged to cancel any subsequent trips they no longer need that day.
Suspension Policies for a Pattern or Practice of Excessive No Shows or Late Cancellations
CityLink verifies all no-shows and late cancellations to ensure accuracy before recording them in a rider's account. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, section 37.125(h) states that "The entity may establish an administrative process to suspend, for a reasonable period of time, the provision of complementary Paratransit service to ADA eligible individuals who establish a pattern or practice of missing scheduled trips." CityLink has established the following points-based process to enforce its late cancellation and no show policy.
Based on the definitions in the Cancellations and No Shows section above, points are assessed for each occurrence of the following infractions:
- Advanced Cancellation: 0 points - Thank you!
- Same Day Cancellation: 0 points - If the trip is canceled more than 1 hour prior to scheduled pickup
- Late Cancellation: 1 point - If canceled at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled trip
- No Show: 1 point per trip. If a rider has 2 trips and fails to cancel any of the trips, they can accumulate 2 No Shows in a day.
It is important to note that trips missed by the individual for reasons out of his or her control are not assessed points and are not used as a basis for determining if a pattern or practice of No Shows or Late Cancellations exists.
No-Shows and Late Cancellations are recorded daily and accumulated each calendar month for purposes of enforcing the no show policy. CityLink reviews total points assessed during each calendar month and calculates penalties as follows:
- 6 points in a 30 day period: 1st Violation = Warning Letter
- 6 points in a 30 day period: 2nd Violation = 7 Day Suspension
- 6 points in a 30 day period: 3rd Violation = 14 Day Suspension
- 6 points in a 30 day period: 4th Violation and subsequent violations = 21 Day Suspension
To account for frequent ridership, penalties are not assessed if total No-Shows and Late Cancellations for the period are less than 10% of the rider's total trips.
Riders in violation of the Late Cancellation and No Show Policy will receive written notice of the violation including details of the pending suspension of service.
Riders will be given 15 days from the date of the notice to appeal the decision (see Appeals process) or to arrange for alternative transportation options during the suspension. Following the suspension period, riders will automatically be cleared to resume service.
Subscription service will not be automatically reinstated following a suspension. Please call (325) 676-6287 option 2 to re-apply for subscription service, which is not guaranteed.
Policy for Disputing Specific No-Shows or Late Cancellations
Riders wishing to dispute specific no-shows or late cancellations must do so within 15 business days of receiving suspension letters. Riders should contact the CityLink ADA Paratransit operations center at (325) 676-6287 option 2, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm to explain the circumstance and request the removal of the no-show or late cancellation.
Process for Appealing Proposed Suspensions
All suspension appeals follow CityLink's appeal process:
- Riders wishing to appeal suspensions under this policy have the right to file an appeal request which must be in writing by letter to:
CityLink General Manager
1189 S 2nd Street
Abilene, TX 79602
Email CityLink General Manager
- Riders must submit written appeal requests within 15 business days of the date of suspension letter.
- Riders who miss the appeal request deadline will be suspended from CityLink ADA Paratransit Service on the date indicated in the suspension notice.
CityLink provides origin to destination service. The driver will come to the front door of a residence or pick up location where accessibility permits.
- The driver will attempt to notify the rider of arrival by ringing the doorbell or knocking on the door.
- The driver will assist the rider with boarding and exiting the van.
- The driver will assist the rider from origin of trip to destination.
- The driver will only assist with wheelchairs up or down approved ramps at origin and/or destination; not on steps or stairs.
- Drivers are authorized to make only 1 trip with bags or other items.
- Drivers may not lift more than 20 lbs.
- Drivers may not provide personal care for individuals who cannot be left unattended.
- Drivers may not provide assistance getting in or out of a wheelchair.
- Drivers may not provide assistance getting ready for the trip.
- Drivers may not provide assistance helping with medication or oxygen.
- Drivers may not enter a residence, enter gates or enclosed personal property areas.
[ADA reg 49 C.F.R. Section 37.129(a)]
- If a rider cannot be left alone at a destination, or must be under constant care or supervision, CityLink may require the individual to travel with an attendant.
- CityLink is unable to alter or modify procedures or policies in order to provide specialized services to a rider who needs assistance beyond the minimum assistance guidelines.
- CityLink is not responsible for riders who cannot be left alone at their destination without care or supervision.
- If a CityLink rider who needs care or supervision is delivered to a destination where a caregiver is not available to assume responsibility, CityLink will transport the rider to the CityLink administration office located at 1189 S. 2nd St.
- It will be the responsibility of the family or caregiver to pick up the individual at the CityLink office upon being notified.
- CityLink reserves the right to contact Protective and Regulatory Service in cases where appropriate care has not been provided by responsible parties.
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), transit agencies operating a fixed-route system must provide a comparable paratransit system for people with disabilities who cannot use the fixed-route system.
SERVICE ANIMALS ALLOWED
Any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability is allowed to ride CityLink’s ADA Paratransit Van Service. CityLink does ask that service animals remain off the seat while on the vehicle.