The Planning Services Division works together with the community to enhance and maintain quality of life in Abilene by guiding specific use and arrangement of urban development through administration and enforcement of the City’s Land Development Code (LDC) and Comprehensive Plan. In addition, the Planning Services Division encourages proper growth, development, redevelopment, and stabilization of neighborhoods by providing technical assistance to the City’s Council, boards, commissions, developers, and citizens.
Boards & Commissions
The Planning staff provides expertise and policy advice for the following boards, commissions, and committees:
- City Council
- Planning and Zoning Commission
- Tax Increment Redevelopment Zone (TIRZ) Board
- Mayor’s Downtown Task Force
- Board of Adjustment
- Landmarks Commission
- Development Review Committee (DRC)
- Entertainment District Task Force
Facade Improvement Grant Program
Staff also provides other core services such as administering the City’s Facade Improvement and Demolition Assistance Grant Programs.
Rebuild ABI Program
The purpose of this program is to promote and encourage the construction and renovation of quality, affordable single-family housing in areas designated by the City of Abilene as eligible for the program.
All Planning Services applications are now online. Apply for Zoning, Plats, Conditional Use Permits, Thoroughfare Closures, and Itinerant Business Permits all from one place.
The Planning and Zoning Commission is comprised of seven Abilene citizens who act as an advisory board to City Council in regards to land use and zoning related matters. Members are appointed by the Mayor for three year terms.
The Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council hold public hearings on cases in City Council Chambers on the second floor of City Hall. If you are interested in any case, you have the opportunity to make your opinion known to the appropriate body at that time.
It is also permissible to mail us a signed letter, which will be forwarded to the Planning and Zoning Commission or City Council, whichever is hearing the case at that time.
Meetings & Public Hearings
Meetings are held in Council Chambers at City Hall
555 Walnut Street, Second Floor
View Current Meeting Dates & Planning & Zoning Commission Packets
Planning & Zoning: March 5, 2023 @ 1:30 p.m.
City Council Final Reading & Public Hearing: April 11, 2024 @ 8:30 a.m.
|The Request of the Proponent Based Upon the Application
2781 Beech Street
|Apply a conditional use permit (CUP) to the property to allow a duplex
|6466 Buffalo Gap Road
|Change the zoning of approximately 1.94 acres from Single Family Residential (RS-8) to General Retail (GR)
|Butterfield Meadows Parkway
|Change the zoning of approximately 138.26 acres from Agricultural Open (AO) to Residential Single Family (RS-6)
|309 S. Pioneer Drive
|Amend the terms and conditions of a Planned Development District (PDD-178). Specifically, to allow the use of the existing structures located on the east side of the property for residential and accessory use and to amend the concept plan.
See the LAND USE MATRIX to learn about the permitted uses within zoning districts by clicking on Land Use Regulations & Development Standards.
Other Plans & Information
- Comprehensive Plan (PDF)
- Existing Community Facilities (PDF)
- Existing Land Use - City Center Map (PDF)
- Existing Land Use - City Limits Map (PDF)
- Extraterritorial Jurisdiction and County Boundaries (PDF)
- Future Land Use Development Plan (PDF)
- Sensitive Development Areas (PDF)
- Super Neighborhood Boundaries (PDF)
- Vacant and Undeveloped Land (PDF)
Buffalo Gap Road Corridor Overlay
Ambler Avenue Corridor Overlay
Carver Neighborhood Plan
South Downtown Master Plan
Pine Street Corridor Overlay
Safe Routes Abilene Plan
Lake Fort Phantom Hill Plan
- Lake Fort Phantom Hill Plan - Land Use Map and Density Chart (PDF)
- Lake Fort Phantom Hill Plan - Plan Text Chapters 1 through 6 (PDF)
- Appendix A - Fort Phantom Hill Lake Association Plan (PDF)
- Appendix B - Water and Waste Water Infrastructure Studies (PDF)
- Appendix C - Design Guidelines (PDF)
- Appendix D - Roundtable Matrix (PDF)