- 2nd and 4th Thursdays during the months of January - September
- 1st and 3rd Thursdays during the months of November - December
- For the month of October, regular meetings will be held at either the 1st or 3rd Thursday of the month, or the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month, depending on the meeting date of the Texas Municipal League’s Annual Meeting.
- First meeting of the month begins at 8:30 am, and second meeting of the month begins at 4:30 pm.
- Council Chambers
2nd Floor, City Hall
555 Walnut Street
Abilene, TX 79601
- At times, the Mayor and City Council meet in a special session to discuss urgent matters.
- Watch meetings live & on demand
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Weldon W. Hurt
Rules of Procedure
The City Council operates under the following Rules of Procedure (PDF)
About the Council
Six City Councilors represent each of six
places in the city (three north of South 1st Street and three south of South 1st) but are elected and serve
at-large, representing all the citizens of Abilene. Councilors serve staggered three-year terms with two members up for reelection each year.
The Mayor is also elected at large and also serves a three-year term. There are no term limits for either the Council or the Mayor.
Legislative & Policy-Making Body of the City of Abilene
The City Council is the legislative and policy-making body of the City of Abilene, a
home-rule city, operating under the authority of the city charter, adopted in 1962. The council enacts legislation, adopts the budget, sets the tax rate, determines policies, approves the Mayor’s appointment of the City Manager, City Secretary, City Attorney, Municipal Court Judge, and all Boards and Commissions members.
The Council receives information from the following groups to decide issues and set policy:
- Decisions and advice from City Boards and Commissions
- Inquiries and information from citizens
- Professional advisers/consultants as needed
- Recommendations from City staff based upon study and analysis