Street lights in Abilene are owned and maintained by several entities. While the majority within the city belong to American Electric Power (AEP), the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), Taylor Electric Cooperative, and the City also own and maintain a portion of Abilene street lights.
Most of the street lights (8,700 or more) are owned and maintained by AEP. The street lights that are maintained by the other entities. If the street light in question is not the responsibility of one of these entities, then it is probably maintained by AEP.
Reporting a Street Light Outage
To report a street light that is maintained by AEP:
Taylor Electric Cooperative owns and maintains street lights at a limited number of locations in Abilene.
- At the intersection of Rebecca Lane and Southwest Drive
- Coyote Run
- Lone Star Drive
- Lonesome Dove Trail
- Moonlight Drive
- On the north side of Antilley Road from just west of Buffalo Gap Road to just west of Twin Oaks Drive
- On the streets in the Lone Star Ranch subdivision
- On the streets in the Skyline Estates subdivision
- Skyline Drive
- Starlight Drive
- Suncrest Drive
- Turkey Run
Report an Outage
To report a problem with one of these street lights:
- Call 325-793-8500
The City of Abilene maintains two groups of street lights.
- The City maintains 61 street lights that are mounted on top of traffic signal mast arm poles. View a list of City-maintained lights (PDF).
- The City maintains 360 State-owned street lights on the main lanes of the Winters Freeway ( U.S. 83). These lights are located from just south of the IH 20 interchange to just north of the Loop 322 interchange (at the southbound exit ramp to Loop 322). Most of these lights are located in the median between the main lanes. However, some (primarily at overpass structures) are located on the outside edge of the main lanes.
For repairs of street lights maintained by the City of Abilene, please call 325-676-6489.
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) maintains some street lights on its facilities inside the City limits. These lights are primarily at junctures of system components, (e.g, intersections and ramp terminals). They also maintain the street lights on the Winters Freeway that are not maintained by the City.
Customer Complaint Line
TxDOT has a toll free customer complaint line. You can contact the TxDOT district office nearest you by dialing 800-55TxDOT (800-558-9368) Monday through Friday between 8 am and 5 pm. There are 25 district offices located around the state to serve the citizens of Texas