Honor a Special Event, Person, or Important Date
Proclamations are issued to honor and recognize the people, programs, and events that have made a difference in the City of Abilene. They can be requested for a day, week, or month, and may be presented at a City Council Meeting, at an event, or picked up at the City Secretary's office.
Types of Certificates
The following certificates may be requested:
- Proclamations - Recognizing a conference or special event (i.e. Fire Safety Month, Spay-Neuter Awareness Week, Martin Luther King, Jr., Day)
- Distinguished Service Awards - Honoring Eagle Scouts, retirements, heroism, etc.
- Certificates of Appreciation - Acknowledging donations or service
- Certificates of Congratulations - For significant anniversaries, birthdays, sports achievements, etc.
- Community Service Awards
Requesting a Proclamation
The Mayor reserves the right to modify or deny any proclamation request, and all requests will be internally reviewed for purpose, significance, and accuracy. All proclamation requests to be presented at City Council will be taken on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Requests must be received no later than three weeks prior to the day the proclamation is needed in order to allow time for review, certificate creation, and, if requested, placed on the City Council agenda. Proclamations will be placed on the agenda in the order they are received, and are limited to 3 proclamations per City Council meeting, on a first come first served basis.
Fill out a Proclamation Request Form Online, or call the City Secretary's office at (325) 676-6202.
Proclamations will not be issued for:
- Campaigns intended for profit-making purposes
- Campaigns or events contrary to City policies or by-laws
- Events or organizations that do not benefit the Abilene community
- Matters of political controversy, ideological or religious beliefs, or individual conviction
- Matters under consideration or to be voted upon by the City Council
Please be advised, proclamations are ceremonial and do not carry any legislative or legal value.