Checkout Technology From Your Library
Your Abilene Public Library allows you to checkout mobile hotspots and laptops for use Although mobile hotspots are available for use outside of the library, laptop rentals are for use inside the library only. Learn more about these programs by making a selection below.
All library branches offer access to a computer lab of PC's for the public to use during our regular hours of operation. If all PC's are in use, feel free to take advantage of checking out one of our mobile lab laptops.
Checking Out a Laptop
- Stop by the circulation desk at South Branch or Mockingbird Branch, or the Information Services Desk at the Main Library, and see staff about checking out a laptop.
- All laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis. You may not reserve a laptop for use ahead of time.
- All laptops may be checked out for up to two (2) hours and must be returned to library staff 15 minutes before the library closes.
- Laptops are only available to be checked out by library cardholders. If your library card is blocked, or you only have a computer user library card, you will not have access to using this service.
- Minors are eligible for checking out a laptop if they have Internet Access attached to their account, and they have parental supervision.
- Once checked out, staff will provide you with a laptop and a mouse if desired. No power cords will be provided, but your laptop will be fully charged when you receive it, giving you at least two (2) hours of use. Staff will also retain your library card or Photo ID until you return the laptop back to staff.
- A user name and password will be found on the laptop for logging on, then connect to the library's WiFi service under the SSID APLibrary.
Additional Information to Know
- If a laptop is not returned, your account will be charged $200.00 in replacement costs. This may also include prosecution for theft if the item isn't returned.
- All laptops come equipped with Deep Freeze software. This means that any information that is saved or downloaded to the laptop during use, or any passwords and login information that has been used, will be wiped from the memory of the laptop when you log off and power down. Staff will not be able to retrieve lost information.
- If you require access to an open source program that's not installed on the laptop, see library staff. Staff may install the program as long as its free to install.
- Laptops do have filters supplied through our WiFi, but they are not the same as the settings applied to our computer labs. Some objectionable content may be found. You will be asked not to actively view such content while using our laptops, the same as if you were using a PC in our computer lab.
The Main library (202 Cedar St) offers a pilot program for lending Mobile Hotspots to patrons. Currently 20 hotspots will be available for checkout to patrons while we assess this program to see how it runs. If successful, we will look to extending the program to all library branches, adding more hotspots for checking out.
What is a Mobile Hotspot
Mobile hotspots are portable devices that, when powered, will send out an encrypted signal to allow one to connect their devices to the signal and grant Internet access. Up to 10 devices can be connected to one of these mobile units, each one offering fast LTE Internet speeds. Use them to get access to the Internet on your laptops, smartphones, tablets, e-readers, gaming consoles, and other Internet-enabled devices.
Checking Out a Mobile Hotspot
- Stop by the Information Services Desk at the Main Library and inquire about checking out a laptop.
- You may Reserve a Hotspot Online, but during the pilot program, they may only be checked out in person at the Information Services Desk at the Main Library.
- Hotspots are only available for checkout to adult Abilene Public Library cardholders. Staff will ask to see your library card and then checkout a hotspot case to you, while supplies last.
- Each hotspot case will come with the hotspot device, a charger with its adapter, and instructions on how to use it.
- Mobile hotspots are checked out for three (3) weeks. You're allowed to leave with the device, but please note, the person who checked out the hotspot will be responsible for the care of the device outside of the library.
- Staff will give you an overview of how to use the device, as well as where to find the SSID and password for connecting to the service.
- While using this services, you will be provided with unlimited data use throughout the duration of the lending period.
- These devices are not eligible to be renewed. You may return the device to any branch location, including the bookdrops.
- If needing a device for longer than three (3) weeks, you will need to reserve an additional unit online through the catalog, or visit the Main Library to see if there's an available unit to checkout.
Additional Information to Know
- If a mobile hotspot is not returned on time, your account will be charged $80.00 in replacement costs. This may also include prosecution for theft if the item isn't returned. All charges will be removed once returned in its entirety.
- Additionally, once an item is overdue, staff will deactivate the device so that it will no longer send out a signal for you to connect to for Internet access. Service may only be restored to the device by library staff.