Checkout Technology From Your Library
All library branches offer access to a computer lab of PC's for the public to use during our regular hours of operation. If all PC's are in use, feel free to take advantage of checking out one of our mobile lab laptops.
Checking Out a Laptop
- Stop by the circulation desk at South Branch or Mockingbird Branch, or the Information Services Desk at the Main Library, and see staff about checking out a laptop.
- All laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis. You may not reserve a laptop for use ahead of time.
- All laptops may be checked out for up to two (2) hours and must be returned to library staff 15 minutes before the library closes.
- Laptops are only available to be checked out by library cardholders. If your library card is blocked, or you only have a computer user library card, you will not have access to using this service.
- Minors are eligible for checking out a laptop if they have Internet Access attached to their account, and they have parental supervision.
- Once checked out, staff will provide you with a laptop and a mouse if desired. No power cords will be provided, but your laptop will be fully charged when you receive it, giving you at least two (2) hours of use. Staff will also retain your library card or Photo ID until you return the laptop back to staff.
- A user name and password will be found on the laptop for logging on, then connect to the library's WiFi service under the SSID APLibrary.
Additional Information to Know
- If a laptop is not returned, your account will be charged $200.00 in replacement costs. This may also include prosecution for theft if the item isn't returned.
- All laptops come equipped with Deep Freeze software. This means that any information that is saved or downloaded to the laptop during use, or any passwords and login information that has been used, will be wiped from the memory of the laptop when you log off and power down. Staff will not be able to retrieve lost information.
- If you require access to an open source program that's not installed on the laptop, see library staff. Staff may install the program as long as its free to install.
- Laptops do have filters supplied through our WiFi, but they are not the same as the settings applied to our computer labs. Some objectionable content may be found. You will be asked not to actively view such content while using our laptops, the same as if you were using a PC in our computer lab.