When is a permit required?

Buildings & Structures

A permit is required whenever an owner or authorized agent intends to do any of the following entailing the occupancy of a building or structure:

  • Alteration
  • Change
  • Construction
  • Demolition
  • Enlargement
  • Movement
  • Repair

Electrical, Gas, Mechanical or Plumbing Systems

A permit is also required for any of the following concerning any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing systems:

  • Alteration
  • Conversion
  • Enlargement
  • Erection
  • Installment
  • Removal
  • Repair
  • Replacement

The installation of these systems is regulated by City code.

Show All Answers

1. Why are construction permits required?
2. When is a permit required?
3. Is a permit required for construction of a carport?
4. Is a permit required for construction of a fence?
5. Is a permit required for re-roofing a house?
6. Is a permit required for construction of a storage building?
7. Is a permit required for replacement of a water heater?
8. Is a permit required for construction of a wooden deck?
9. When does a permit expire?
10. Can I obtain a permit to do electrical work at my own house?
11. Do I need an asbestos survey to demolish interior walls, a portion of a structure, or the entire structure for a commercial building?
12. What will happen if work requiring a permit is performed without contractor or owner first obtaining a permit?
13. How can I find out if a contractor is registered with the City of Abilene?
14. How do I become credentialed as a contractor in Abilene?
15. How can I get a Certificate of Occupancy?
16. How do I establish wastewater service?
17. How do I get a service connection to a City sewer main?
18. What is a construction inspection?
19. How do I schedule an inspection?
20. Who performs inspections?
21. How long are house plans kept on file?
22. What construction codes does the City of Abilene currently use?
23. Which permits do I need to install a mobile home in Abilene?
24. Who do I call to have underground lines marked before I start to dig on my property?